Supervising DirectorApply Now for this job: Supervising Director
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
Washington, DC-based position overseeing Studio Operations. This role includes managing Directors, Associate Directors and Stage Managers. Directs the activities of these personnel to assure continuity in production values is maintained through the effective utilization of technical facilities and crew. Works closely with other network departments identifying operational efficiencies and defining workflows. Works with network management in devising execution procedures and providing continual oversight of productions to keep them on budget while maintaining the highest quality of production possible. Must have direct, supervisory experience as well as technical knowledge of all operations positions, including but not limited to studio, control room, venues, transmission, technical director, lighting director, audio engineer, media operator, editor and graphics operator. Will be required to direct a variety of productions based on operational needs.
- Ensures adherence to and the continuity of production values for all studio-related productions
- Schedules and coordinates the use of studio facilities for live productions; plans, schedules and oversees the direction of major remote broadcasts
- Ensures the effective assignment and utilization of personnel and technical facilities; develops and implements training plans and programs for Directors, Associate Directors and Stage Managers; coaches and mentors directors
- Responsible for the development and utilization of technical facilities used to produce all studio-related productions including third-party vendor/providers
- Accountable for the content quality, budget performance and market share of all studio-related productions
- Plans and coordinates the full scope of studio directing activities staff of Directors, Associate Directors, Stage Managers and other professionals / staff accountable for studio-related productions
- Oversees the design of innovative graphics for all studio-related productions
- Directly and through key subordinates, sets and ensures compliance with the highest levels of professionalism in all aspects of the direction of each studio and remote production; oversees and ensures the highest content and broadcast standards for the direction of all studio-related productions
- Creates and adjusts the directing concepts and narratives of the productions of all studio-related productions to reach the largest possible number of viewers and to increase ESPN’s market penetration, ratings and viewership and financial results
- Sets, communicates and ensures the realization of the creative vision for the direction of all studio-related productions
- Leads the development of concepts, editorial themes and narratives for assigned live studio productions and specialty productions. Oversees and manages the direction of all studio-related productions
- 10 + years of TV Production experience including directing.
- 5+ years of management/supervisory experience.
- Full television production knowledge, solid technical knowledge.
- Computer experience with proficiency in applications such Excel, Word, Qcuts, FCP and PowerPoint.
- Ability to assess and evaluate job performance, leadership skills, directing skills and experience, forward thinking.
- Experience with financial show planning (forecasting, spreadsheets, long-range planning, accounting)
- Bilingual (Spanish preferred)
- Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent
- Master's Degree
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.