Senior Android EngineerApply Now for this job: Senior Android Engineer
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
The ESPN Mobile Engineering team develops some of the most downloaded and successful Android sports apps, including the ESPN app, WatchESPN, Tournament Challenge, and many others.
In this role, you will work with a cross-functional team of Product Managers, Designers, Engineers, Web Developers, and Content Creators to conceptualize and develop world-class ESPN apps. You will own the technical implementation of projects and expected to provide training, guidance, and mentorship to other members of the team. This role is expected to guide decisions on technical strategy, architecture, best practices, tools, and utilities.
This is a hands-on engineering position that requires expert level proficiency in Java, Android SDK, device capabilities, and Android OS variations. All new development is being written in the Kotlin language, fully leveraging streams, reactive programming techniques and fluent syntax.
The ideal candidate is passionate about Android, Java, Kotlin, reactive programming, technology, apps, and sports.
- Development of new and existing ESPN apps for the Android platform from conceptualization to launch
- Development of quality code using cutting-edge techniques, tools, and utilities
- Guide decisions on architecture and technical strategy
- Research, test, and implement new techniques, frameworks, and utilities
- Define development/design standards and best practices
- Partner with cross-functional teams to define new product requirements, features, and functionality
- Keep abreast of industry trends and technologies, and be prepared to apply them quickly
- A minimum of 6 years of progressive experience in any job title with duties involving software development, programming or analysis
- A minimum of 3 years hands-on professional Android development experience
- Extensive experience with Java and full command of Android APIs on all OS versions
- Experience working a significant consumer app that is currently available in marketplace
- Solid understanding of data models and data access architecture and optimization
- Strong understanding of multi-tier web architectures, and OO design patterns and concepts
- Strong understanding of server side software, scalability, performance, and reliability
- A sound understanding of HTTP and REST-style web services
- Must demonstrate solid organization/communication skills
- Deep technical knowledge of mobile application development
- Experience with messaging related technologies like GCM, SMS, MMS, XMPP, SMTP
- Experience with embedded local storage solutions such as SQLite
- Experience with image manipulation and animation, including techniques like alpha blending
- Demonstrated ability to design and build dynamic multi-threaded mobile apps.
- Solid understanding of Android app development life cycle including Google Play and Amazon App Store compliance policies and submissions requirements
- Experience with GitHub or similar version control tools
- Experience with Android build management and provisioning
- Experience with agile software development practices, including scrum, sprint planning, retrospectives, etc.
- Experience with TestFlight or similar app distribution platforms
- Experience with Android performance tuning and crash reporting applications
- Experience evaluating and integrating 3rd party APIs, including SDKs for social networks, advertising, and analytics
- Ability to work in a fast paced, team-oriented, test-driven collaborative and iterative programming environment
- Experience with iOS application development is a plus
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, engineering, mechanical or mechatronics engineering or closely related field or its equivalent.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, engineering, mechanical or mechatronics engineering; or closely related field
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.