Senior Android EngineerApply Now for this job: Senior Android Engineer
The ESPN Mobile Engineering team develops some of the most downloaded and successful Android sports apps, including the ESPN app, WatchESPN, Tournament Challenge, and many others.
In this role, you will work with a cross-functional team of Product Managers, Designers, Engineers, Web Developers, and Content Creators to conceptualize and develop world-class ESPN apps. You will own the technical implementation of projects and expected to provide training, guidance, and mentorship to other members of the team. This role is expected to guide decisions on technical strategy, architecture, best practices, tools, and utilities.
This is a hands-on engineering position that requires expert level proficiency in Java, Android SDK, device capabilities, and Android OS variations. All new development is being written in the Kotlin language, fully leveraging streams, reactive programming techniques and fluent syntax.
The ideal candidate is passionate about Android, Java, Kotlin, reactive programming, technology, apps, and sports.
- Development of new and existing ESPN apps for the Android platform from conceptualization to launch
- Development of quality code using cutting-edge techniques, tools, and utilities
- Guide decisions on architecture and technical strategy
- Research, test, and implement new techniques, frameworks, and utilities
- Define development/design standards and best practices
- Partner with cross-functional teams to define new product requirements, features, and functionality
- Keep abreast of industry trends and technologies, and be prepared to apply them quickly
- A minimum of 6 years of progressive experience in any job title with duties involving software development, programming or analysis
- A minimum of 3 years hands-on professional Android development experience
- Extensive experience with Java and full command of Android APIs on all OS versions
- Experience working a significant consumer app that is currently available in marketplace
- Solid understanding of data models and data access architecture and optimization
- Strong understanding of multi-tier web architectures, and OO design patterns and concepts
- Strong understanding of server side software, scalability, performance, and reliability
- A sound understanding of HTTP and REST-style web services
- Must demonstrate solid organization/communication skills
- Deep technical knowledge of mobile application development
- Experience with messaging related technologies like GCM, SMS, MMS, XMPP, SMTP
- Experience with embedded local storage solutions such as SQLite
- Experience with image manipulation and animation, including techniques like alpha blending
- Demonstrated ability to design and build dynamic multi-threaded mobile apps.
- Solid understanding of Android app development life cycle including Google Play and Amazon App Store compliance policies and submissions requirements
- Experience with GitHub or similar version control tools
- Experience with Android build management and provisioning
- Experience with agile software development practices, including scrum, sprint planning, retrospectives, etc.
- Experience with TestFlight or similar app distribution platforms
- Experience with Android performance tuning and crash reporting applications
- Experience evaluating and integrating 3rd party APIs, including SDKs for social networks, advertising, and analytics
- Ability to work in a fast paced, team-oriented, test-driven collaborative and iterative programming environment
- Experience with iOS application development is a plus
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, engineering, mechanical or mechatronics engineering or closely related field or its equivalent.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, engineering, mechanical or mechatronics engineering; or closely related field
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.