Manager, Production OperationsApply Now for this job: Manager, Production Operations
The Production Operations Management Team relies on both technical and operational skills and expertise. Our Managers are also responsible for the cost effective 24/7 operations of all ESPN resources, including personnel, systems and services. The business initiatives of the company also drive the Production Operations Management, including bottom line results for all procurement, operational, promotional and training budgets.
Production Operations is a division of Programming and Production and consists of several groups: Network Control, PCR, Studio, Content Edit, Business Resources, and Operations Specialists. Production Operations staffs the operational positions (camera, editing, master control, technical directing, etc.) that support domestic and international studio and event programming and network operations.
- Plans, manages and controls technical operating personnel; creates, monitors and administers technical operations procedures and technical training programs; coordinates technical operating personnel to ensure the achievement of programming and production requirements
- Manages all assigned Production Operations personnel
- Coordinates and oversees technical operations and/or campus facilities to ensure efficient and smooth television operations; plans and coordinates with Systems Engineering groups regarding the installation and implementation of new equipment
- Manages emergency activities resulting for equipment failures; prepares daily technical operations reports on technical problems; keeps the management of Production Operations currently apprised of all technical modifications and problems; follows up on deviations to identify and isolate special and systemic problems; participates in post production evaluations to identify and isolate technical problems and to recommend corrective actions
- Assesses and plans for current and future production and operational needs and requirements; recommends appropriate modification to the campus and otherwise closely supportive facilities
- Researches new technologies as they relate to technical operations; maintains a current awareness of technical developments and trends in the industry
- Determines approval of the staffing, scheduling and assignments of Production Operations personnel on an all shifts; approves adjustments to staffing and facilities schedules to meet the demands of on-air and all programming and production operations
- Acts as the primary liaison with close technical support groups to resolve technical and operations problems
- Makes or reviews the hiring, firing, promotion and related compensation and human resources decisions for assigned Production Operations personnel; conducts the annual performance review process for assigned Production Operations personnel; evaluates the progress of the technical staff in their training and development
- Participates in planning with the various Production Departments as well as all other ESPN clients (Marketing, Human Resources, Affiliate Divisions, etc.) to ensure the adequacy of technical facilities and staff to achieved targeted results
- Oversees the creation and implementation of training programs to improve the competency of the technical operating staff
- Directly responsible for and influences the context of ESPN’s defined technical operations policies, objectives and outcomes
- Ensures the seamless operation of technical and/or production operations
- Leads in the Long Range Planning for all Production Operations Resources with respect to Programming and Production and other vested parties
- Accountable for the technical quality of live and recorded programming, coordinated productions and special projects as defined by ESPN Senior Management
- May be responsible for leading special projects or will be a part of special projects, as assigned
- Ability to multi-task, manage competing priorities and work in a fast paced environment is a must
- Extensive background in live studio, field television production, newsgathering or live event production as well as familiarity with the latest television broadcast technologies
- In-depth knowledge of production technologies including studio, control rooms, edit, media, master control and news gathering functions
- Experience in breaking news scenarios and sound decision making ability when under pressure
- In-depth knowledge of logistics with regard to television production operations
- Ability to perform daily responsibilities swiftly, accurately and comprehensively
- Team player who can overcome communication gaps and rapidly changing scenarios to deliver positive results
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree, and applicable television broadcast or cable experience preferred
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in a production operations management role
- Experienced in managing people including the performance review process
- Must have excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Computer aptitude
- Clear ability to multitask and prioritize while working under pressure and tight deadlines
- The ability to troubleshoot and resolve problems quickly
- A positive customer service attitude
- Proven ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Experience in implementing agile project management methodologies and best practices
- Experience leading teams through projects from concept to execution
- Flexibility to work day, night, or weekend shift with the ability to move into an alternate shift if needed, including major holidays. This position works the 2nd shift.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Bachelor's Degree
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Los Angeles Cable Sports Productions, LLC, which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
Los Angeles Cable Sports Productions, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.