Director, Broadcast EngineeringApply Now for this job: Director, Broadcast Engineering
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
You will be responsible for the technical distribution and routing of signals throughout the facility and to and from ESPN’s other facilities, including its main campus, for content ingest and network distribution. You will be expected be intimately familiar with all of the facility’s technology systems. In your role you will contribute to the development of project plans and budgets, participate in purchasing of equipment, support installation and testing plans, and supervise post-installation documentation efforts. You will be responsible for all hands-on day-to-day technical work as the manager of our support and engineering maintenance teams. Working with the Senior Technology leadership you will also co-develop 1-year, 2-year and 5-year technology plans for our Los Angeles Production Center.
- Provide around-the-clock technical support and maintain a complex broadcast production environment consisting of multiple studios, production control rooms and remote locations.
- Monitor and oversee current readiness of the facility and takes/approves preventive/corrective action as necessary to ensure the facility is operationally ready.
- Coordinate the activities of team involved in the maintenance, support, deployment and configuration of the servers and broadcast network.
- Directly responsible for the technical performance and associated systems for the Los Angeles production facility.
- Maintains a current and active in-depth understanding of all relevant technical systems.
- Collaborates closely with Production Operations management and key staff to assess the facility’s ability to provide service based on a dynamic event schedule.
- Recommends annual operating and capital budget for new equipment to meet future requirements.
- Provides development opportunities for staff to ensure high quality facility reliability levels are achieved.
- Assists in the recruiting of technical, engineering or operations personnel.
- Expert-level knowledge of support and maintenance of current and next generation digital television architecture, equipment and standards including video-over-IP, encoders, decoders, distribution, routing, switching, control room, non-linear editing recording & playback, etc
- Demonstrated experience in being a strong team leader. Someone who can provide guidance, instruction, direction and leadership to a high performing technology support and maintenance team for the purpose of achieving aligned results and individual growth.
- Advance IT skills including TCP/IP networking concepts and equipment, storage systems, redundant computer system concepts, administration, etc.
- 5 years of experience managing individual contributors and Supervisors that have responsibility for maintaining technical production center.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Advance-level knowledge of video and audio signal formats such as but not limited to 1080p, 720p, UHD/HDR and the various frame rates associated with these formats.
- Advance-level knowledge of Sony 8000 Switcher, Grass Valley Routers, Evertz Magnum Routers, Snell Master Control Automation. DMX Control Systems, Riedel broadcast communication systems, various playout server systems, etc.
- Ability to successfully manage large technical teams through organizational and operational change.
- In depth technical knowledge of television facilities configuration and operation and of the full range of broadcasting and transmission equipment
- Minimum of 12 years of experience leading a media/broadcast environment.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or Information Technology
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.