Vice President, Data Platform EngineeringApply Now for this job: Vice President, Data Platform Engineering
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
ESPN is looking to fill a Technology leadership position at the Vice President level. The VP, Data Platforms, is responsible for developing and managing all aspects of technology and product development for ESPN’s digital sports and data platforms.
Every sports fan knows that data is the key to winning. At ESPN, we have some of the most comprehensive sets of sports data in the world. Data is at the heart of our most used and loved products ranging from SportsCenter to our mobile apps, our websites and also highlighted in our Developer Center at http://developer.espn.com
We are also in an age where data is used to make all of our lives and products better. Today our fans consume information about their favorite teams and players as fast as they can get it. A static product that doesn’t know you and respond to your needs is a product of yesterday.
We are looking for a highly motivated, detail-oriented leader to guide us through this wave of innovation and build the next generation of data platforms to power fan experiences for the converged TV/Digital future.
Are you game?
The VP, Data Platforms & Technology will be a member of the ESPN Technology division reporting directly to the Senior Vice President of Enterprise Software Development and located in Bristol, CT. The incumbent will work closely with the ESPN Executive leadership team to define and develop long term data and analytics strategies for the entire company. The VP, Data Platforms & Technology will oversee several highly motivated, cohesive and committed teams who create ESPN’s sports and user data platforms. This is an opportunity to play a leading role in the direction and development of some of the most successful and highest profile data platforms on the Internet.
The ideal candidate will have a diverse background and a demonstrable track record of successfully building and managing high quality, innovative applications, platforms and services for a consumer-oriented organization. The right candidate must be a self-motivated, team player who can influence the overall business objectives of the organization. This person must be able to work closely with other internal and external product and technology experts and must have strong communication and analytical skills with an inspiring drive for excellence. In this role, the candidate will architect solutions that involve large-scale data storage and processing.
- Lead the research, development and operations for sports and consumer data platforms.
- Must possess the ability to analyze market trends and inspire future growth.
- Evaluate new products and third party companies for potential integration into the organization.
- Recruit, retain and lead a world class engineering team that shows commitment and resolve to position ESPN at the top of the industry.
- Must have an ability to motivate and inspire passion and excitement for data platforms both within the team and across the organization as a whole.
- Collaborate with the appropriate departments to develop and maintain a data platform solution that supports organizational needs. Work closely with stakeholders, including, but not limited to partners in; Technology, Production, Content, Sales, Marketing, Research and Operations to ensure that a comprehensive data roadmap is in place and agreed upon.
- Communicate the vision of data platforms clearly to the Executive Leadership Team.
- Recommend emerging technologies for data storage, processing and analytics.
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Engineering or related technical degree.
- 10+ years of work experience in a consumer-oriented media or software development company, including platform and personnel management.
- Deep expertise with schema design and data modeling
- Strong understanding of sports datasets and statistics and how they are used throughout digital and broadcast products.
- Strong leadership and C-Suite/Executive Board communication skills.
- Experience in leading major information management programs in key business areas.
- Experience with NoSQL / Big Data Solutions, including familiarity with Hadoop, MapReduce and HBase.
- Experience in operationalizing data governance and data Quality.
- Familiarity with the major data products and other big data solutions available in the market.
- Expertise in creating and deploying best practices and methodologies in a matrix workplace.
- Knowledge about building and supporting big data teams across the organization.
- Familiarity with different modeling techniques such as data and/or predictive modeling.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related technical degree. Preferred Education
Master's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related technical degree. Company Overview
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.