Vice President, Consumer Software EngineeringApply Now for this job: Vice President, Consumer Software Engineering
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
ESPN is looking to fill a Technology leadership position at the Vice President level. The VP of Consumer Software Engineering is responsible for leading a Global organization that is responsible for the development of all consumer-facing software products at ESPN. This includes the development of native applications for mobile devices and emerging platforms, real-time content graphics systems (ESPN BottomLine), fantasy games, personalization, affinity products (X Games, SEC Network, FiveThirtyEight, espnW), as well as the development of all domestic and international browser-based products on desktop and mobile web platforms, including ESPN.com, ESPNFC.com, Cricinfo.com, ESPNDeportes.com, ESPN.co.uk, and several other properties.
The VP of Consumer Software Engineering will be a member of the ESPN Technology division reporting directly to the CTO and located in Bristol, CT. The incumbent will work closely with the ESPN Executive leadership team to define and develop consumer software business objectives and milestones which drive effective short and long-term technology strategies and plans. The VP Consumer Engineering will oversee a high performing team and be responsible for leading the development of native applications for mobile phones, tablets, game consoles, televisions and other network-connected consumer devices. The successful candidate will be responsible of creating and building great digital products for fans.
The ideal candidate will have a diverse background and a proven track record of taking client‐facing enterprise software development projects from concept through delivery. The right candidate must be a self-motivated, team player who can influence the overall business objectives of the ESPN. This person must be able to work closely with other internal and external product and technology experts and must have strong communication and analytical skills with an inspiring drive for excellence. A strong background in innovation, commercialization, research, process development, new product development, and applications development is a must.
This role will work hand-in-hand with the leaders of Product Management Team in Digital and Print Media, as well as Affiliate Sales & Marketing.
- Lead a 150+ member globally dispersed software engineering organization
- Lead the development of ESPN’s portfolio of consumer-facing digital products
- Oversee the development native applications, which will take full advantage of device-specific hardware capabilities and OS frameworks to deliver best-in-class experiences that integrate seamlessly with built-in applications.
- Oversee the design, implementation, and support of ESPN’s real-time, content graphics systems (ESPN BottomLine, etc.)
- Deliver native ESPN applications that look, feel, and respond to fans in an elegant and high-performance way.
- Establish and direct the strategic long term goals, policies and procedures for the software development program for all products as well as overseeing the development, release and maintenance of software applications.
- Global responsibility for current and future web content technologies and development of streaming and on-demand video players.
- Translating functional product requirements into development specifications and building applications to meet these requirements.
- Evaluation of, recommendations for, and ultimate decision‐responsibility for, technical product design, including architectural designs and all related technical decisions.
- Overseeing the creation and development of ESPN’s products, engineering services, etc.
- Ensuring that new technologies are incorporated into applications, systems, programs and database protocols.
- Ensuring the quality assurance and build and release management for all consumer-facing software products.
- Ensuring that the company has access to new technology and products which can grow the business.
- Ability to communicate the vision of Consumer Software Engineering clearly to the Executive Leadership Team.
- 12+ years of applicable experience in the software product industry
- 8+ years of management experience leading professionals.
- Experience creating a technical product/platform development strategy based on an understanding of market drivers, trends, competitive positions and opportunities
- Expertise in creating and deploying best practices and methodologies in a matrix workplace.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Experience with the management of remote work groups.
- Demonstrated strong business acumen with an understanding of the market and financial implications of new product development processes.
- BS Computer Science, Engineering, a related technical degree, or equivalent professional experience.
- MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical degree.
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.