Transmission Systems Technician IApply Now for this job: Transmission Systems Technician I
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
The Transmission Systems Technician I is a public representative of Media Engineering and of ESPN through routine communication and coordination with other departments, fiber providers, technology vendors and affiliates. This position is responsible for acquiring and transporting distribution and contribution based content globally. A technician is responsible for the quality control, security, and continuity of ESPN’s Networks and business initiatives with an emphasis on the following technologies: RF, fiber, compression, video, audio, and IP. Performance must be accurate, timely, and with a professional demeanor befitting this role. Work must be carried out with a minimum of supervision.
- Provides support for ESPN’s Global Fiber Optic Partners for both optical and compression technologies
- Diagnoses and determines corrective action for first tier technical problems, and refers more complex problems to appropriate departments and more senior engineers and managers for resolution.
- Monitors distribution compression systems to ensure content distribution, coordination and quality of optical transport technology meets ESPN’s standards.
- Conducts routine routing, switch and control activities necessary to ensure broadcasts operate according to specification.
- Operates test equipment to monitor Transport applications and identify problems.
- Works daily with 3rd party fiber providers on RFOs and maintenance notifications
- Provision Ethernet and Video services globally over ESPN’s private fiber network ESPNet
- Process Video, Audio, and Data signals for use in ESPN production facilities including video level and color adjustment, audio shuffling and level adjustment, lip-sync and video timing.
- Regularly interact and maintain positive relationships with departments throughout ESPN.
- Regularly represents ESPN to partners and Affiliates throughout the world as a first level technician.
- Regularly interacts with remote and ESPN freelance representatives to turn-up new fiber optic links for major events
- Support 3rd party fiber provider’s connectivity into ESPN
- Coordinate, execute, and communicate replacement of failed equipment globally
- Responsible for communication, resolution and follow-up of daily operational issues with internal and external partners.
- 0-2 years of Broadcast or Fiber Optic Industry Operational experience
- Availability to work in a 24 x 7 environment including weekends and holidays.
- Excellent communication, organization, problem solving and computer skills
- Basic knowledge of various fiber optic standards and transport delivery methods, including SONET, SDH, DWDM, CWDM, LAN Phy and WAN Phy technologies
- Basic knowledge of MPEG 2 Transport stream technologies and standards.
- Basic knowledge of MPEG and JPEG compression hardware, software, and standards
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks in a deadline-oriented live television environment.
- Basic knowledge of IP protocols such as BGP, IGMPv2 & 3, TCP/IP, SNMP, SSL, HTTPS, and DNS
- Has fundamental knowledge of LAN and WAN IP related equipment
- Understanding of Distribution DPI Technologies (SCTE 104 / SCTE 35).
- Ability to work within a high-pressure deadline oriented team environment
- Fundamental knowledge of Internet and CDN contribution and distribution technologies
- High School Diploma or equivalent technical school graduate
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science or a minimum of 2 years’ experience in broadcast or fiber optic industry technologies.
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.