Senior Java Software EngineerApply Now for this job: Senior Java Software Engineer
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
As a Senior Software Engineer in Data Platforms, you will help design, build and support the underlying data architecture for all of ESPN’s sports, content and consumer data that serve our business and 112 millions of fans across the globe on digital and broadcast with millisecond latency. We want an amazing Software Engineer to join our team. We are looking for someone who is creative, passionate, and excited about building with few limitations and a lot of data.
You would be exposed to all phases of software development and architecture and would have the opportunity to work on our real-time end to end data processing pipeline, persistence, storage and API’s (which handle millions of transactions every day and store hundreds of terabytes of data). This is a chance to work with the newest cloud based data technologies to solve scalability and high availability challenges within a motivated, fast growing team. This is a critical role that will have a significant impact on the direction of our product, technology and business.
We are looking for someone who…
- Has the curiosity to research and learn new technologies and skills and recommend technical direction
- Employs positive thinking and is able to work constructively in a team setting
- Is passionate about data engineering, big data and related technologies
- Build cool things – Build software across our entire cutting-edge data platform, including data processing, storage, and serving large-scale web APIs, with awesome cutting-edge technologies. We operate in real-time with high-availability.
- Harness curiosity – Change how we think, act, and utilize our data by performing exploratory and quantitative analytics, data mining, and discovery.
- Innovate and inspire – Think of new ways to help make our data platform more scalable, resilient and reliable and then work across our team to put your ideas into action.
- Have pride – Ensure performance isn’t our weakness by implementing and refining robust data processing, REST services, RPC (in an out of HTTP), and caching technologies.
- Grow with us – Help us stay ahead of the curve by working closely with data architects, stream processing specialists, API developers, our DevOps team, and analysts to design systems which can scale elastically in ways which make other groups jealous.
- Not your first rodeo – Have 6+ years of experience developing with a mix of languages (Java, Scala, Bash, etc.) and frameworks to implement data ingest, processing, and serving technologies. Experience with real-time and very large scalable online systems are preferred.
- Data and API ninja –You are also very handy with No-SQL systems such as Cassandra; Understand reactive programming and dependency injection such as Spring to develop REST services.
- Have a technology toolbox – Hands on experience with newer technologies relevant to the data space such as EMR, Kafka, Hive, Chef. You’ll have plenty of experience with developing in a cloud native environment.
- Problem solver – Enjoy new and meaningful technology or business challenges which require you to think and respond quickly.
- Passion and creativity – Are passionate about data, technology, & creative innovation.
- Affinity for sports.
- Prior experience building internet scale platforms.
- Experience with Apache open source such as Spark, Kafka, and Mesos/Yarn.
- Proficiency with agile development methodologies.It would be awesome if you have a robust portfolio on Github and / or open source contributions you are proud to share.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline or its equivalent.
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.