Part-Time Sports Data AnalystApply Now for this job: Part-Time Sports Data Analyst
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
Analysts primarily play a hands-on role in ensuring that all sports data distributed by S&A is the fastest, most accurate and insightful in the world. This is a wide-ranging requirement that includes real-time clock-and-score coverage, generating play-by-play and utilizing other applications.
Employees in this role must have the skill set to work effectively individually or in a team setting. The willingness and ability to work within the guidelines, policies and standards of a professional environment are paramount, and meticulous attention to detail is required to produce fast and accurate information.
Stats Analysts must have good communication skills. It will be necessary to work well in individual settings, small groups and large groups while delivering statistics and data in a real-time basis across the newsroom. Additionally, Stats Analysts must take a proactive role in working with colleagues in developing processes for accurate data intake. Innovation and idea generation will be keys to success.
- Achieve competency using a variety of S&A applications.
- Enter data quickly and accurately and verify the results of one’s own work and that of others; perform with a consistently high attention to detail.
- Anticipate potential problems, both nightly and long-term, and offer potential solutions. Communicate quickly and decisively with colleagues on these issues.
- Contribute to production, projects and task forces across the newsroom.
- Assist those in leadership roles in the newsroom who are directing and leading full-time staff and Project Employees.
- Required to stay informed of current department policies and procedures, and to seek out and respond to opportunities involving projects, committees and task forces.
- Must be passionate about sports and statistics; in fact, candidates should have a working knowledge of players, teams and the rules of the games.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- An affinity for detail to strive for 100 percent accuracy.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Must thrive under deadlines and willing to work non-traditional hours (nights, weekends, and holidays).
- Strong news/content judgment as well as being computer proficient and internet savvy.
- A working knowledge of statistics’ role in ESPN products and should be able to regularly propose new ways statistics can be utilized in ESPN storytelling or as premium products for Studio and Digital Media platforms and elsewhere.
- Minimum of 1 year experience working with statistics, preferably in online, television or print media
- Team leadership experience.
- Heavy interest in Fantasy sports.
- In depth knowledge of ESPN’s Digital Media coverage of all sports and games.
- Experience working with sports content and storylines via TV, radio, newspaper or a notable sports blog.
- Experience working in the Public Relations or Marketing department of a college, minor league or professional sports team.
- Academic Project focused on sports journalism, sports business or sports statistics.
- Experience working in a team environment working with multiple departments towards a common goal.
- A thorough knowledge of television production usage of data in on-air and research applications.
- Aptitude for working with technology such as data feeds, data warehousing and custom software tools.
- Working knowledge of all ESPN platforms’ products and technologies.
- Ability to speak and write Spanish is a plus.
- Experience working with pivot tables
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Bachelor's Degree
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.