Paralegal – Trademark & Contracts ParalegalApply Now for this job: Paralegal – Trademark & Contracts Paralegal
The Paralegal position carries out a range of para-professional duties under the supervision of one or more attorneys in ESPN’s Legal department, spending the majority of time handling trademark-related matters. This role will be focused mainly on trademark prosecution and enforcement and drafting and reviewing trademark-related contracts, but will also include the drafting, review, and analysis of non-trademark contracts as well, handling the contract drafting process from term sheet through signature. The Paralegal position will regularly engage with in-house attorneys, outside counsel, and business leads.
- Maintains ESPN’s global trademark portfolio by filing US and global trademark applications and renewals, including preparation of specimens, first use dates, and identifications of goods and services, working closely with outside counsel in doing so.
- Reviews watch notices for trademarks and domain names and tracks infringing domain names.
- Conducts preliminary US and international screening searches via Saegis and the Internet.
- Analyzes comprehensive screening and search results and drafts reports for internal clients.
- Prepares cease and desist letters and processes takedowns for online IP infringement.
- Reviews and edits opposition-related documents and works with business units and outside counsel to collect information and evidence for UDRP and other trademark proceedings.
- Reviews product, marketing, and other materials for proper trademark use.
- Tracks trademark deadlines and ensures deadlines are not missed by keeping trademark attorney and clients apprised of such deadlines.
- Drafts contracts and/or other legal documents, ranging from standard to highly complex, for attorney review and approval, with a high degree of competence, knowledge, legal judgment, and drafting skill. Range of subject matters may include all matters handled within the Legal Department.
- Conducts legal issue identification and analysis, including regarding intellectual property ownership (e.g., trademark, copyright, name and likeness); legal risk assessment at a high para-professional level.
- Conducts research, which may include some higher-level analysis, in areas of focus.
- Sets up matters in Serengeti and reviews invoices from outside counsel and vendors.
- May conduct administrative support activities for attorneys and interface with finance function as necessary.
- Expected to contribute/participate in department oriented initiatives beyond assigned duties on occasion (e.g., legal department intranet site, presentations to client departments).
- Minimum of 3 years of applicable legal experience required.
- Expertise in all areas of trademark prosecution and enforcement.
- Expertise in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- The ability to consistently solve problems with a high degree of independent decision-making.
- The ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management.
- Demonstrated strong operational expertise.
- Proven success in judgment in a broad scope of matters.
- Full knowledge of selected legal procedures, terminology, and contract policies and standards.
- Ability to handle a high volume of work with minimal supervision while exercising the judgment to appropriately discern when to escalate issues.
- Superior organization skills with the ability to prioritize workload efficiently and effectively, and excellent attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and must be highly team-oriented.
- High level of professionalism and ability to maintain absolute confidentiality.
- Ability to build business acumen and understand core elements of the applicable business area(s).
- Knowledge of SharePoint, Saegis, and Serengeti.
- Subject matter expertise in trademarks and other categories of agreements in the sports/media/entertainment/music space.
- High School Diploma
- Paralegal certification or Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN, Inc, which is part of a business segment we call .
ESPN, Inc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.