Manager, Stats & Information
The ESPN Stats & Information Group is a pressure-packed, exciting work environment specializing in information dissemination across ESPN. Our content is used across multiple platforms -- television, digital media, radio, ESPN The Magazine and ESPN Mobile. The SIG Content umbrella includes BottomLine Editors and Sports Content Researchers. The Sports Analytics Team and Stats & Analysis are our partners in SIG.
SIG Content is responsible for providing perspective and context around sporting events and storylines including historical context and statistical analysis. For the Manager position, we are looking for someone who is able to combine a passion for sport stats and storylines with an interest in growing and developing our team of researchers and editors.
On the content side, Managers oversee the allocation of personnel and resources in a deadline-driven production environment. This includes coverage and support for studio shows, events, mobile and digital platforms. They also work closely with SIG management and other leaders in event and studio production on projects, cross-platform integration and overall research coverage across multiple platforms including TV, radio, digital and mobile.
Being able to grow and develop people is an important aspect of this role. Managers need to be committed to investing the time and care to coach and teach our staff, developing them as people and building successful professionals for one of the world’s largest sports media companies. We believe that great support, honest, straight-talk feedback and holding people accountable is foundational to our success.
Ideal candidates will possess the following traits:
- Sports subject-matter expertise, including a good understanding of advanced metrics and their usage in storytelling
- Strong news judgment and the ability to plan, review and evaluate content generation
- The ability to make decisions quickly and correctly in pressure situations
- The ability to communicate clear priorities to staffers in a fast-paced environment
- The ability to take proactive action in a newsroom environment.
- Strong people management skills and a demonstrated ability to hold staff accountable to stringent standards.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Manage and grow a diverse staff. Solicit and give timely feedback, meeting at least biweekly with each report. Write and deliver quarterly performance reviews. Assist the staff in managing any daily issues. Ensure overall coverage to all shows and areas for research and BottomLine
- Work 2-3 shifts per week as the leader of SIG Content production. This includes: Broad content oversight; reacting to breaking news and events, pushing top-notch content to Producers, providing instant feedback to Researchers and Editors, assigning project work and requests from clients in Production.
- Play an active role in the department’s recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, rewarding and retention of a diverse staff.
- Work closely with SIG leadership on projects, cross-platform integration and overall coverage.
- Assign and review project work and packets for special events.
- Handle requests from news editors, producers, and reporters and game crews. Distribute requests to staff as appropriate.
- Identify opportunities to integrate SIG content onto all existing and emerging ESPN platforms and coverage areas.
- Manage the process of translating statistics and information into content and questions for use by on-air talent and commentators.
- Lead in developing full-screen and custom video storytelling concepts that enhance ESPN's reputation as a leader in statistical analysis for both Studio and Event productions, incorporating advanced statistics and analytics.
- Help oversee the development and maintenance of resources such as the stylebook, pronunciation guides, calendar, statistical tools and analytic interfaces, and sports databases.
- Work hand in hand with scheduling department to monitor program changes and to ensure all shifts are staffed properly.Work with partners across the company to design new graphics and visualizations to better display the department's information.
- A minimum of 5 years’ professional work experience
- Deep and broad sports knowledge across multiple sports. Must have expert-level recall of current and historical sports statistics, news, events and milestones.
- Experience with most major internet search engines and fluency in electronic newsgathering techniques, including quickly navigating the internet and a knowledge set around social media
- The ability to provide full availability for this position which will include nights, weekends and holidays.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience working with statistics, covering sports or analyzing sports events, news and issues for online, television or print mediums.
- 1+ years’ experience managing people and/or projects including oversight of direct reports
- Experience in Internet, television or print sports news production
- Spanish-language writing and speaking skills
- High School diploma or equivalent
- College degree or equivalent
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.