Manager, Communications – ESPNApply Now for this job: Manager, Communications – ESPN
ESPN has an immediate opportunity for an experienced, motivated, and innovative Manager, Communications!
- Serve as Communications contact for a variety of important, high-profile ESPN properties - ESPN Audio, select studio shows including First Take, certain business initiatives, sports properties and select talent
- Develop and execute detailed publicity campaigns for all properties
- Identify and create story angles, pitch them to various media outlets and generate publicity results
- Interact with key executives on interviews and other PR matters
- Work closely with on-air commentators -- on interviews, PR planning and issue management.
- Write and edit press releases and other PR documents
- Manage issues, strategize and create external messaging for major announcements and work with external contacts to maximize PR
- Embrace new tools and approaches to serve as a 360 communicator, serving both internal and external audiences. Generate story ideas and multimedia assets to creatively engage a variety of audiences online and socially. This includes creating regular new material for ESPN’s internal employee website and ESPN Front Row, the company’s outward-facing corporate blog
- Help set strategic direction on communications efforts
- Contribute to overall ESPN Communications Department planning and direction
- Serve as key contact for national and local media as well as company spokesperson
- Serve on as-needed basis as ESPN Communications Department rep at events, shows, etc.
- Travel to New York monthly (generally) and nationally on a limited basis
- Respond to media requests for information and interviews
- Assist with various department initiatives and projects as assigned
- Work nights and weekends on a limited basis
- A minimum of 5 years public relations/media relations experience
- Excellent PR, communications and writing skills
- Results-oriented and experienced in media pitching across spectrum of media (TV, print, online, radio, magazines, trades)
- Demonstrated knowledge/understanding of sports, media and news value
- Knowledge of and familiarity with ESPN business, programming, commentators
- National media contacts across TV (morning/late night), print, online, magazines, radio, trades
- Strategic and creative thinker
- Self-starter and positive personality
- Experience in public speaking
- Ability to handle multiple tasks on deadline in fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in social media: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook
- Knowledge of TV ratings and sports cable TV landscape
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience (related to communications or journalism preferred) or equivalent work experience
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN, Inc, which is part of a business segment we call .
ESPN, Inc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.