Live Event Technical DirectorApply Now for this job: Live Event Technical Director
ESPN Production Operations is a unit within the Production division of ESPN Content. Our staff comprises Network Operations, Edit, Studio, Production Control Rooms, Operations Specialists, Facility Resources and Business Operations. Production Operations staffs the operational positions (camera, editing, master control, technical directing, etc.) that support domestic and international studio and event programming and network operations.
The Technical Director in the PCR group must be proficient in preparing and switching video elements during live and pre-recorded productions in control room environments built upon traditional video switchers as well as automation systems. Work is done while ensuring all content meets ESPN’s high standards of quality and will be performed in a fast-paced environment for a wide variety of studio shows and events.
- Operates all broadcast equipment and technology within assigned operating areas, including but not limited to Technical Directing functions in a proficient manner (e.g. operating video switchers, implementing sources, creating displays, interfacing with external devices, creating user and suite preferences).
- Builds and maintains effects for various productions, providing associated communication and documentation to the entire Technical Directing team.
- Demonstrates solid knowledge of plant signal flow/routing.
- Measures video signals to ensure quality control of ESPN endorsed standards on all operations using comprehensive knowledge of broadcast methods.
- Performs proficiently under strict timelines and/or live conditions.
- Files reports, as necessary, on specific working conditions and, equipment status at the request of management.
- Prioritizes and disseminates complex information among the entire control room crew in a clear and concise manner to ensure seamless productions.
- Participates in special event coverage and projects as necessary.
- May train others in operational areas and if so, required to generate training documentation.
- Problem solves and troubleshoots using effective communication to best convey any issues needing resolution.
- Seeks out information in regards to the workflow of other business units, including their impact and/or specific integration with Production Operations, and utilizing that information to enhance processes and/or educate others.
- Participates in training programs, (physical, classroom, virtual, etc.) for self-career development and/or regarding any relevant equipment and workflow changes within the operation.
- Supports ESPN Domestic networks, including Deportes, as well as all ESPN International networks.
- Minimum of 2 years practical TV Production or related experience at the large market or network level.
- Proficient knowledge of all TV Production equipment and technology within assigned operating areas, including but not limited to: Video production switchers, server-based recording/playback systems and related control devices, TV Production routers, intercom systems, signal conversion equipment, etc.
- Familiar with production control room automation systems (e.g. Grass Valley Ignite and/or Ross OverDrive).
- Experience in a live production control room environment.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Flexibility to alter shifts/days off and work overtime to accommodate projects and departmental objectives.
- Must demonstrate ability to perform tasks under tight deadlines, work independently and lead simultaneous projects.
- Solid understanding of workflow in other business units, including their impact and/or specific integration with Production Operations.
- Organizational, efficiency and planning skills are required.
- Must be willing and able to adapt to a constantly changing environment.
- Candidates must have good computer background (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc...) and solid communication skills.
- Bilingual (written and spoken) in both English and Spanish
- Consistent Regional level Remote event, local, digital, or venue/Jumbotron experience
- Additional Live Sports Production Experience
- Plant Infrastructure understanding of Routing, Communications and IP Equipment
- Strong Troubleshooting Capability
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Studio Production, Journalism, or related field
- Vocational School or related experience
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.