J2EE Software Engineer III, Media EngineeringApply Now for this job: J2EE Software Engineer III, Media Engineering
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
The ESPN Media Engineering team develops the most comprehensive Media asset acquisition, management, distribution, and export solutions in the sport content provider sector. Core to the media platform at ESPN, the Media Distribution team is responsible for conditioning and delivering sports media to content distributors and directly to fans through every conceivable conduit as quickly as technology allows.
The ideal candidate is a highly adaptable engineer able to work on multiple high-pressure initiatives while maintaining measurable progress at an increasing rate. This candidate has an intense passion for sports, media and software engineering.
- Develop efficient, reliable software services geared toward acquiring, tagging, managing, distributing, and exporting video assets for the Core Services/Architecture group in Media Engineering at ESPN Technology
- Drive innovations that improve service simplicity, maintainability, and performance
- Evaluate new third party technologies
- Support architects in evaluating and validating design decisions
- Proactively identify weaknesses and recommend appropriate solutions
- Provide clear, concise documentation and training to other developers in the proper use of our services
- A minimum of 4 years of hands-on experience in software engineering with a strong mathematics background
- Proficient Java developer with a deep understanding of object oriented design and patterns
- Experience designing and implementing solutions with an understanding of parallel algorithms, leveraging horizontal and vertical scale
- Deep understanding of JAX-RS/REST (along with sound understanding of RESTful principles), XML, JAXB, and JSON
- Hands on experience with cloud platforms, e.g. AWS, Google, Windows Azure, et cetera
- Proven troubleshooting, analytical, and problem solving skills
- Independent, self-starter, and a team player
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in software engineering with a strong mathematics background
- Experience building enterprise level services, with a recent focus on Java EE including EJB 3.x and JPA 2.x using container managed transactions a plus
- Comfortable developing on and administering a recent version of a Java EE container; JBoss, Glassfish, et cetera
- Experience with high performance indexing technologies such as Apache SOLR/Amazon Elastic Search or NoSQL databases (Cassandra, MongoDB) a plus
- Solid organization, communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to work with geographically dispersed, cross functional teams
- BS Computer Science or related technical discipline or its equivalent.
- Graduate degree in Mathematics, Computer Science or a related technical discipline; engineering degree desirable
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.