Director Social MediaApply Now for this job: Director Social Media
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
The Director, ESPN Social will oversee a portfolio of top ESPN social media accounts across Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram and other emerging platforms. The role is responsible for strategy, tactics, prioritization and workflow to ensure maximum consumption of ESPN content across these channels while also managing KPIs like engagement, growth and revenue. The Director will oversee development and execution of the editorial vision on these channels, working closely with content creators in Digital Media and Production. The Director will lead a team of editor/producers to assign, edit and/or curate social media content feeds in a fast-paced daily environment. He/she will evaluate stories, video and other content types for accuracy, fairness and social/viral potential, and maintain best practices for all of the above. The Director must be able to develop unique and compelling content that will thrive in mobile/social environments. He/she must have or develop an awareness of the operations of multiple ESPN units, as well as an assortment of content types (text, video, audio, photo) in order to collaborate successfully in identifying and/or developing up-to-the-minute content optimized for social media.
- Manage a team of 10-to-15 people, responsible for managing accounts on major social media platforms
- Manage internal partnerships with other content leaders across platforms
- Engage internal content partners to ensure the best curation and distribution of video and text content
- Work closely with ad sales and other related groups to drive revenue
- Maintain proficiency and knowledge in latest trends, technology and best practices for social media
- Maintain proficiency and knowledge in latest trends and best practices for visual storytelling
- Review relevant performance metrics to drive resource allocation and content decisions
- Supervise creation of and edit multiple content objects on a daily basis. These will include copy and line editing roles, managing an overall style and voice, and working with subject matter experts for specific content types.
- Work across multiple content and delivery platforms to help mine and seed social media of/with viral content.
- Sports takes place on nights, weekends and holidays -- and those shifts will be regular and required.
- A minimum of 7 years working in a high-level media environment
- Previous management experience
- Experience in managing and growing business relationships
- Strong base of current sports knowledge, including teams, players and storylines
- Proficiency in metrics-based decision making
- 3+ years management experience, including multi-layer management
- Experience managing social media accounts for large audiences.
- Experience working in a mobile-first content environment
- Strong presentation skills
- Understand and follow closely the latest in social media trends
- Understand and follow closely the latest user trends across websites and/or mobile apps
- Strong understanding and appreciation of news and story play.
- Ability to work quickly and juggle multiple varied tasks during a typical work day.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working closely with video content
- A B.S./B.A. degree in communication arts, journalism or new media or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.