Director, Internal Communications - ESPNApply Now for this job: Director, Internal Communications - ESPN
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
The Director of Internal Communications serves as a company leader for strategic internal communications and engagement for the ESPN organization. He or she is responsible for developing internal communications materials of the highest standards, appropriate to audience and context, including managing the company’s intranet, “ITK” (“In The Know”). The candidate will develop strategies and initiatives for internal employee business communication companywide, intra- and inter-departmentally, alongside the Vice President of Communications; currently, this role manages a team of two Internal Communications Managers. The selected candidate will work closely with executives on best practices for communicating business information within and across departments. The candidate will also work with HR as well as IT for new technology applications for internal communications purposes.
- Works directly with senior management and various departments in concert with the VP of Communications to draft key internal communications plans.
- Creates and oversees content and provides leadership to develop innovative strategies for delivering effective and engaging employee communications globally.
- Partners closely with business units (HR, Affiliate Sales and Marketing, ,Finance, etc.) and leadership , to provide counsel, seek feedback on approach, develop messaging about company changes, and ensure consistency of tone.
- Manages the day-to-day scheduling and operations of ITK, the company’s internal website. This includes understanding news value, overseeing the editorial calendar and technical capabilities of the site as well as authoring content.
- Serves as key liaison across departments, ensuring consistency and standards for communications reaching internal audiences, leveraging the full array of communications options (face-to-face, electronic, print and broadcast).
- Leads as the key point person for communications efforts for corporate-wide projects/initiatives.
- Manages and participates in the planning of certain high-profile company meetings, and special events, including the preparation of agendas, scripts and related collateral materials.
- Establishes events or tools for effective executive communications that can be applied across the company (e.g.: Town Hall meetings, Executive Forums).
- Develops programs and facilitates cross-departmental learning, understanding, or knowledge sharing.
- Participates as active member of Corporate Communications team as necessary on ad-hoc projects.
- Connects with Disney Internal Communications and serves on the Disney Internal Council
- Communicates ESPN content to Disney internal platforms
- Eight (8) or more years of experience performing internal communications roles within a global company
- Demonstrated experience leading and developing high-performing teams.
- Exceptional writing, editing and verbal communication skills; proficiency to write clearly and concisely on complex topics for a diverse set of internal and external audiences.
- Strong, direct, positive interpersonal skills to accomplish goals.
- Proven track record of teamwork, innovation and results in the employee communication function.
- Ability to interact and influence at all levels of an organization.
- Experience with cutting-edge communications practices and technologies.
- Understanding of new technologies and applications in the electronic messaging and communications field.
- Ability to establish and meet deadlines, work under pressure and handle multiple priorities.
- Demonstrated track record managing effective communication of complex organization challenges (e.g., diverse businesses, locations, time zones).
- Dynamic, motivated and self-starter.
- Flexible and adaptable to change.
- Previous corporate internal communications experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in communications or related field.
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.