Deputy Editor, ESPN AmericasApply Now for this job: Deputy Editor, ESPN Americas
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
- The Deputy Editor, ESPN Americas is an experienced media manager who will help coordinate content coverage of all types across ESPN digital properties in Mexico, the Caribbean, Central, South America, and other territories. This editor will also support editorial integration to serve U.S. Hispanic fans.
- The position will be based in Bristol, and work closely with editors in Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Sao Paolo, Miami, Los Angeles and other locations to help coordinate the integration of the wide variety of coverage being produced by ESPN in those regions, work with senior content management teams to organize that coverage into a compelling daily budget and help both distribute and lead translations efforts.
- The ideal candidate for this role will be fluent Spanish, English and Portuguese, and be capable of communication and editing content in each language.
- The Deputy Editor will be expected to display outstanding news judgment, skilled storytelling ability, thorough knowledge of digital practices (including video, social platforms and content sharing), and a strong knowledge of journalistic principals and methods. This editor will be deeply knowledgeable of the cultures of sport in all ESPN regions and territories in Latin America, understand the editorial and societal issues from market to market and help inspire collaboration and cross-platform initiatives. The editor will be skilled in producing content that resonates on all digital outlets, including apps, mobile web and social, and work with partners on other platforms (such as television, radio and in ESPN The Magazine).
- This is a management position, requiring daily communication with teams across multiple continents, languages, cultures and time zones. Strong organizational and managerial skills, and experience establishing editorial vision, are all a must.
- Fluency in English and Spanish and the ability to edit in both languages.
- Seven (7) years of editorial and managerial experience.
- Skills in web authoring tools, SEO and software: CMS, Photoshop, basic HTML, FTP clients, basic video editing, photo editing, Mac and PC operating systems. Fluency in electronic newsgathering techniques, including quickly navigating the Internet.
- Digital journalism experience and strong news judgment; understands assigned sports from a journalistic point of view, and for diverse audiences.
- Experience managing writers, editors and an overall editorial department.
- Strong organizational skills. Excellent news reporting, writing and editing skills.
- Experience managing content and financial budgets and working to monetize content through work with business partners, including advertising and marketing.
- Must be willing to travel, both domestically and internationally.
- Fluency in Portuguese, and ability to edit in Portuguese.
- Typically 10-plus years of editorial and managerial experience.
- Experience managing a digital news operation and editorial team.
- Experience driving a digital business and work with advertising sales and marketing
- Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred in Journalism, Communications or a related field.
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.