Associate Principal CounselApply Now for this job: Associate Principal Counsel
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
The Associate Principal Counsel in ESPN’s Legal Department will assist the Deputy Chief Counsel, Assistant Chief Counsel, and other attorneys in fulfilling the legal affairs and requirements of the corporation. Areas of focus can include, but are not limited to:
- Affiliate Sales & Marketing – distribution agreements including syndication, affiliation and licensing agreements;
- Programming acquisitions and production agreements;
- Radio; and/or
- Ad sales.
- Maintains current knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws and of industry legal standards and norms; analyzes how these might impact ESPN.
- Drafts contracts and other legal documents, recommends approval/modification of contracts proposed by outside parties, and negotiates with outside parties. Assists with/supports comparable tasks in other areas outside of core expertise/primary responsibility.
- Possesses and maintains (including through Department designated continuing legal education) knowledge in specialized legal areas, specifically in connection with (1) new and traditional media distribution platforms; (2) content (including audiovisual programming, licensing and production); (3) intellectual property (copyright, trademark, rights of publicity); (4) ad sales; and/or (5) radio.
- Keeps internal clients fully informed of relevant legal issues and implications of their current operations and proposed actions, and advises them accordingly of risks and legal consequences of alternative actions.
- Reviews and edits significant letters, work orders and other documents from applicable client departments to ensure that potential legal implications are appropriately addressed.
- Manages outside counsel in their representation of ESPN on litigation and other legal matters.
- May directly supervise, on a non-exclusive basis, one or more Paralegal and Legal Assistant colleagues.
- As requested by the Deputy Chief Counsel and/or Chief Counsel, participates in relevant professional associations, seminars, and conferences.
- Operates within the context of defined corporate strategies.
- Recommends and, with appropriate approvals, implements enhancements and improvements to established processes and workflows.
- Translates corporate strategy into mid- and long-term goals and the analysis and evaluation of trends in ESPN’s legal positioning and compliance into recommended corporate actions.
- Performs such other duties or functions as the Chief Counsel, Deputy Chief Counsel, Assistant Chief Counsel, or an attorney reporting to any of them may delegate to her or him.
- Conceives and recommends strategies and initiatives to minimize the legal risks of current operations and proposed actions.
- At least 5 years of contract law experience, including extensive drafting
- Familiarity with affiliate relations and negotiating distribution agreements (including, by way of example only, linear, over-the-top, interactive television, video-on-demand, mobile and TVE distribution, and licensing agreements).
- Familiarity with the entertainment, broadcast/cable/radio/digital media, Internet, mobile and/or sports businesses.
- Familiarity with audiovisual production legal work, including licensing of audiovisual content and data components.
- Familiarity with content agreement negotiating (including, by way of example only, audiovisual programming, licensing and production agreements) and intellectual property law (copyright, trademark, rights of publicity)
- Familiarity with college and/or professional sports
- Familiarity with documentary film business
- Experience supervising paralegal/legal support staff
- Law school JD graduate
- Bar admittee; eligibility for Connecticut House Counsel status, if not already admitted to the bar in Connecticut
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
Imagine a career with an organization that brings smiles to millions every day. Imagine working with people whose passion for what they do is simply indescribable. We are The Walt Disney Company, live with a rich legacy of innovation, entertainment, and lifelong memories. With our vast array of both businesses and professionals, you’ll have the opportunity to join a team that’s beloved around the world, and to find out how it feels to love what you do. We invite you to discover for yourself why a career with Disney is the opportunity you‘ve been looking for.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer – Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.