Studio OperatorApply Now for this job: Studio Operator
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
The Studio Operator must be proficient in the use of all broadcast equipment and technology within assigned operating areas, including but not limited to; camera jib systems, camera stabilization systems, high definition studio cameras, pedestals and lenses, camera control units, color correction, studio routing, server based playback devices, studio lighting, PC and console based lighting boards, robotic camera operation, remote video conferencing systems, virtual technology, and general studio awareness.
Production Operations is a division of Programming and Production and consists of several groups: Network Control, PCR, Studio, Content Edit, Business Resources, and Operations Specialists. Production Operations staffs the operational positions (camera, editing, master control, technical directing, etc.) that support domestic and international studio and event programming and network operations.
- Proficient operating skills and ability to perform under strict timelines and/or live conditions with little supervision
- Operates a wide range of assignments within the particular discipline that is indicated by the job title
- Demonstrates a solid understanding of signal measurement and procedures
- Conducts quality control measuring and corrective action steps to ensure and/or enhance product
- Demonstrates solid knowledge of workflow, equipment and facility layout in assigned areas for troubleshooting
- Knowledge of broadcast methods of measuring video signals to ensure quality control of ESPN endorsed standards on all operations.
- Solid understanding of workflow of other business units, including their impact and/or specific integration with Production Operations. Basic problem solving and troubleshooting techniques and effective communication to best convey the issues necessary for resolution.
- Organizational, efficiency and planning skills are required. Participation in training programs, (physical, classroom, virtual, etc.) for self-career development and/or regarding any relevant equipment and workflow changes within the operation.
- Support for all ESPN networks.
- Expected to participate in training others in operational areas and generate training documentation.
- Ability to understand complex information and disseminate it to proper personnel.
- Participation in required administrative tasks including, but not limited to, the effective utilization of all ESPN software based applications (such as time entry, travel and expense filing,) and daily shift reporting.
- Embrace company initiatives including departmental meetings, feedback performance, management applications, and employee surveys.
- Candidates must have good computer background (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc...) and solid communication skills.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Flexibility to alter shifts/days off to accommodate projects and departmental objectives.
Longhorn Network (LHN) Specific Responsibilities
- Plan, set-up, light and execute high-level, studio and field feature and documentary shoots of exemplary quality.
- Perform various technical functions in an integrated control room environment using software based production tools.
- Must have a high degree of proficiency with shot composition, basic editing techniques, and an ability to learn new technology as it comes to market.
- Show ability to work without producer on b-roll and interview gathering assignments.
- Demonstrate expertise in use of various field transmission techniques such as cellular, fiber, and IP as well as experience with lighting, microphone and IFB setup for liveshots.
- Must maintain oversight of LHN owned inventory of field equipment and help execute the preventative maintenance schedule, including submission and follow-up of timely defective equipment reports.
- Must have willingness to travel, work nights and weekends and adjust schedule on minimal notice.
- In the field and in the studio, as a public facing representative of LHN and ESPN, must always represent those brands with the highest degree of professionalism and attention to detail.
- Minimum of 2 years practical TV Production or related experience
- Must demonstrate ability to perform tasks under tight deadlines, work independently and manage simultaneous projects.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays.Flexibility to alter shifts/days off to accommodate projects and departmental objectives.
- Candidates must have strong computer background (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc...) and communication skills.
- Familiarity with Quantel and/or non-linear server based editing a plus.
- Solid knowledge of all TV Production equipment and technology within assigned operating areas
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Bachelor's Degree or related experience
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.