This position may be located in Seattle, Wash.
The General Editor for XGames.com is an experienced editor who works with other editors, writers, photographers and videographers to develop and maintain the year-round and event-specific content offering for the site. Duties including producing and publishing the site’s features and news using information from reporters, wire services and other outside sources within the action sports industry. The editor must have extensive knowledge of X Games, its sports and culture and have experience working in one of those industries. The editor is responsible for making judgments on story play and participating in discussions on packaging content into integrated offerings within Content Development and X Games franchises, as well as producing features with potential hooks for the ESPN.com front page and XGames.com index page.
Editors are expected to write crisp, clear and concise headlines and copy. Under the direction of the Senior Editors of XGames.com, the editor is responsible for merging information from a variety of sources – staff, television, reporters, wire reports, photographers, athletes and industry representatives.
ESPN, Inc., The Worldwide Leader in Sports, is the leading multinational, multimedia sports entertainment company featuring the broadest portfolio of multimedia sports assets with over 50 business entities. Headquartered in Bristol, Connecticut, ESPN is 80% owned by ABC, Inc. (a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company), and 20% by the Hearst Corporation.
ESPN was founded by Bill Rasmussen and launched on September 7, 1979. Now with over 6,500 employees, each year ESPN televises more than 5,100 live and/or original hours of sports programming. The company’s mission is to serve sports fans. Anytime. Anywhere.
The editor is responsible for fielding editorial content. Alone or with other sources, the editor gathers content and coordinates coverage; works to make coverage more comprehensive; works with staff writers and freelancers; generates story ideas; contributes to special features and edits multiple stories, among other duties. The editor typically edits copy to meet established tone, theme, accuracy, style and consistency requirements; writes copy along those same guidelines; enhances existing material; contributes to making the site work and to creating a positive experience for users of XGames/ESPN.com. The job may include contributing to the daily content and regular “refreshes” of XGames.com index and sport sections. In the absence of a Senior Editor, the editor may be called upon to lead a group, shift or key coverage area of the site.
The editor will be responsible for building out and publishing the day-to-day headline news objects, X Games service information, feature stories and related-content modules in ESPN’s content management system. They will write AP-style news stories, blog posts and features on a regular basis, in addition to editing news items and photo captions and helping write headlines, subheads and promotional copy for the site. They will be an experienced action-sports participant with a deep working knowledge of action sports athletes, history, tricks, companies and PR.
During X Games events, the editor plays a crucial event-production role in our live coverage team and makes important, and sometimes final decisions on editorial content for the events, including copy, photography, video and promotional support. The editor participates in discussions to create editorial preview packages and shape the coverage of the events. The editor travels to X Games events and coordinates multimedia content flow and a portion of a stringer team of contributors covering the event, up to 30 people.
The General Editor, XGames.com is also responsible for:
• Photography and video submissions to the site, is expected to have unparalleled understanding of action sports and its visual communication and will be working with freelance contributors on a regular basis.
• Publishing content to XGames.com using our proprietary Content Management System, and working with our technical production group to QA the site and report bugs.
• Invoice tracking for our freelance talent and coordination with our group’s controller to make sure talent payments are processed on time.
• Working with various groups across the company during X Games to maximize efficiencies and online workflow: Content Development events, TV Production, Publishing group, New Media.
• Has competence in pitching, news reporting, writing and editing.
• Has a strong appreciation of popular culture and contributes to an understanding of the tastes of ESPN’s audiences.
• Has a high-level news journalism experience and news judgment; understands assigned sport(s) from a journalistic point of view, and for a mainstream audience.
• Has an understanding of HTML and related web authoring tools and software.
•Understands how to write headlines and copy that’s optimized for internal and external search engines.
•Knows Photoshop and basic web-video editing software
• Strong English grammar and excellent organizational skill, particularly as it applies to grammar and syntax.
• Familiarity with most major Internet search engines and fluency in electronic newsgathering techniques, including quickly navigating the Internet.
• Has unparalleled knowledge of the action sports industry, including: athletes, companies, events, trick terms, history, PR reps, agents and currently participates in more than one action sport.
•Must be willing to travel, both domestically and internationally, to execute X Games event coverage and meetings, up to six times per year.
• Minimum five years of editorial and reporting experience.
• Bachelors degree or higher preferred in Journalism or a related field.
Imagine a career with an organization that brings smiles to millions every day. Imagine working with people whose passion for what they do is simply indescribable. We are The Walt Disney Company, live with a rich legacy of innovation, entertainment, and lifelong memories. With our vast array of both businesses and professionals, you’ll have the opportunity to join a team that’s beloved around the world, and to find out how it feels to love what you do. We invite you to discover for yourself why a career with Disney is the opportunity you‘ve been looking for.
ESPN, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.
Job ID: 61583BR