Senior Software Engineer
ESPN, Inc., The Worldwide Leader in Sports, is the leading multinational, multimedia sports entertainment company featuring the broadest portfolio of multimedia sports assets with over 50 business entities. Headquartered in Bristol, Connecticut, ESPN is 80% owned by ABC, Inc. (a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company), and 20% by the Hearst Corporation.
ESPN was founded by Bill Rasmussen and launched on September 7, 1979. Now with over 6,500 employees, each year ESPN televises more than 5,100 live and/or original hours of sports programming. The company’s mission is to serve sports fans. Anytime. Anywhere.
The Senior Platform Engineer plays a key role in the support, enhancement, and overall stability of all the ESPN.com environments. He/she has a successful track record for coming up with solutions to hard engineering problems, has a passion for investigating low level issues and good problem solving skills. The platform engineer stays current with all the open source technologies and is comfortable operating in a fast paced environment. This person will work on a myriad of services and systems with a focus on diagnosing and fixing the root cause of all defects reported by many different teams. In addition, this person will be developing tools and systems to prevent issues from manifesting in the first place where possible. For scenarios that cannot be foreseen, this person will be working on tools and systems that make triaging as fast as possible.
Create, update, maintain and own all ESPN.com development environments
Create/update processes/tools to allow other groups to easily maintain the data/integrity of the website
Troubleshoot common engineering problems involving web application services and develop elegant solutions
Is part of a rotation of engineers that is readily available to troubleshoot issues 24X7
Implements assigned portions of entire software development cycle, including requirements gathering, analysis, design, development, testing, deployment, and maintenance
Mentor/Guide junior engineers
• A minimum of 6 years related work experience
• Expert experience with Java, servlets and web applications.
• Expert understanding of multi-tier web architectures, and OO design patterns and concepts.
• Expert knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server, including stored procedures, index strategies, and transactions.
• Expert Experience with HTTP, XML, Web Services
• Ability to operate effectively in a team-oriented and collaborative environment without much supervision.
• Must demonstrate solid organization/communication skills, ability to lead junior developers and set their direction
• Accountable for high levels of personal productivity on assigned tasks and projects or for that of less experienced personnel assigned to team
• Experience/knowledge of the following is a plus: Glasssfish, Tomcat, JMS/MQ messaging, JPA/Hibernate, JAXB/JAX-RS, EJB's and other Java EE6 technologies.
Masters Degree in Computer Science or related field
Degree in Computer Science or related field, and/or equivalent work experience
Imagine a career with an organization that brings smiles to millions every day. Imagine working with people whose passion for what they do is simply indescribable. We are The Walt Disney Company, live with a rich legacy of innovation, entertainment, and lifelong memories. With our vast array of both businesses and professionals, you’ll have the opportunity to join a team that’s beloved around the world, and to find out how it feels to love what you do. We invite you to discover for yourself why a career with Disney is the opportunity you‘ve been looking for.
ESPN, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.
Job ID: 92637BR