Project Senior Project Manager Scrum Master
Within the Technology PMO the Sr. Project Manager is responsible for managing large-scale, complex initiatives from initiation through closure. These initiatives usually involve the coordination of technology activities; however the scope of responsibilities includes non-technical tasks such as user training, business process reengineering and organizational change. This role requires a wide range of leadership competencies, technical (PM) experience and communications skills. Responsible for managing projects using the ESPN Work Life Cycle and standard processes, tools and methodology which include the development of the scope of work and the management of time, cost, risk, and communications. The position operates in a matrix environment, developing multi-talented, cross-functional teams and guiding them through processes that most effectively deliver business solutions.
ESPN, Inc., The Worldwide Leader in Sports, is the leading multinational, multimedia sports entertainment company featuring the broadest portfolio of multimedia sports assets with over 50 business entities. Headquartered in Bristol, Connecticut, ESPN is 80% owned by ABC, Inc. (a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company), and 20% by the Hearst Corporation.
ESPN was founded by Bill Rasmussen and launched on September 7, 1979. Now with over 6,500 employees, each year ESPN televises more than 5,100 live and/or original hours of sports programming. The company’s mission is to serve sports fans. Anytime. Anywhere.
This is a project position with an estimated length of 2 years.
• Manages all aspects of Project and small Programs up to $5M, regardless of type, from Initiation through Closure, requiring little direction.
• Plans, coordinates and directs all activities associated with developing project plans, communication plans, project schedules, etc. in accordance with ESPN Project Management and Software Development Life Cycles.
• Responsible for the technical and customer experience design for a range of end-user and system-level features.
• Partner with software engineering, technical operations, and related disciplines to deliver high-quality, implementable designs.
• Leverage deep understanding of Agile and Scrum methodologies to lead project teams as both a scrum master and project manager.
• Responsible for team dynamics, morale and motivation.
• Builds a team where all members and points of view are respected.
• Is responsible for the overall performance of the team.
• Develops and maintains the program and project plans.
• Lead Project Teams through identifying and managing risk and the resolution of issues.
Analysis and Problem Solving / Decision Making
• Responsible for all scope, schedule, and financial decisions made, associated with assigned Projects.
• Accountable for delivering ‘quality’ solutions that provide desired business benefits and/or solve business problems - ‘on-time’ & within budget.
• Able to quickly solve complex problems in a challenging - dynamic environment with minimal direction.
Communication / Interaction
• Frequently communicates with business and technical middle management, project team and stakeholders.
• Effectively communicates complex and/or difficult information to both technical and non technical audiences, including Executives.
• Communicates to convince and influence key decision-makers / stakeholders in a manor that best serves ESPN.
• Sr. Facilitator – must be able to:
- Facilitate meetings / workshops with large groups of people beyond the project team, including Executives
- Facilitate group through complex issues to decisions
- Ensure group participation
- Drive workshop/meeting to conclusion and/or actionable outcome
- Develop and deliver outcomes/results in a manor appropriate to the level of the group
• Minimum of 10 years of experience managing formal projects and/or functional organizations.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience working in a technology organization or media organization.
• Minimum of 3 years working directly with software engineering teams on new product development.
• Strong knowledge of modern web development frameworks
• Minimum of 3 years of hands-on experience with Agile/Scrum methodologies, playing the role of scrum master effectively.
• General understanding of ESPN’s business and operating model with the ability to come up to speed quickly in new environments / business’.
• Meaningful hands-on software engineering or web development experience is strongly preferred.
• Project Management experience in managing web software development applications is highly desired.
• Specific experience as a program manager for high-scale web applications is highly desired.
• PMI Certification preferred with thorough understanding of Project Management Methodologies & Techniques.
• College Degree, with a strongly preferred focus in computer science or similar disciplines.
Imagine a career with an organization that brings smiles to millions every day. Imagine working with people whose passion for what they do is simply indescribable. We are The Walt Disney Company, live with a rich legacy of innovation, entertainment, and lifelong memories. With our vast array of both businesses and professionals, you’ll have the opportunity to join a team that’s beloved around the world, and to find out how it feels to love what you do. We invite you to discover for yourself why a career with Disney is the opportunity you‘ve been looking for.
ESPN, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.
Job ID: 74202BR