Software Engineer II Fantasy Games
*This position can be located in either Bristol, CT or Seattle, WA.*
ESPN.com Fantasy Games is looking for a proficient Software Engineer to join the team that creates one of the world’s greatest online Fantasy Games destinations. ESPN.com’s developers conceive, develop, and deploy industry-leading web products and applications. The right candidate must have hands-on technical expertise and be a self-motivated, team player who can drive his/her own work while keeping an eye to the overall business objectives of the organization. He/She is comfortable working in a fast paced environment and has a passion for sports and fantasy games. This is your chance to play a leading role in the creation of industry-leading robust web applications that are used by millions of Fantasy fans across the globe, every single day.
ESPN, Inc., The Worldwide Leader in Sports, is the leading multinational, multimedia sports entertainment company featuring the broadest portfolio of multimedia sports assets with over 50 business entities. Headquartered in Bristol, Connecticut, ESPN is 80% owned by ABC, Inc. (a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company), and 20% by the Hearst Corporation.
ESPN was founded by Bill Rasmussen and launched on September 7, 1979. Now with over 6,500 employees, each year ESPN televises more than 5,100 live and/or original hours of sports programming. The company’s mission is to serve sports fans. Anytime. Anywhere.
• Takes part in the development and maintenance of multiple Fantasy Gaming products such as Streak for the Cash, Tournament Challenge, Pigskin Pick’em, and others.
• Design, develop, test, and implement new java based applications.
• Provide support to production staff by developing functionality needed to create new web applications and features.
• Identify areas that require improvement and recommend/implement solutions.
• Provide guidance and training to more junior engineers.
• Implements assigned portions of complete development cycles, including requirements, analysis, design, development, testing, deployment, and maintenance.
• Recommends technical decisions for applications and systems and drives the execution of those proposed plans.
• Responds to customer feedback and internal trouble tickets to create the best Fantasy products and most compelling user experiences possible.
• Establishes, supports, and maintains standards and practices for all software engineers throughout the Fantasy Games Engineering group.
• Passionate sports fan and fantasy games player.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Minimum of 2 years related work experience.
• Strong experience with Java, servlets and web applications.
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server, including stored procedures, index strategies, and transactions.
• A strong understanding of the Transact-SQL (T-SQL) language.
• Understanding of multi-tier web architectures, and OO design patterns and concepts.
• Demonstrated ability to work on a diverse scope of software and database projects requiring detailed analysis, creative/practical problem solving, and sound judgment.
• Ability to operate effectively in a team-oriented and collaborative environment.
• Must demonstrate solid organization/communication skills.
• Manage multiple projects within a short development cycle with routine supervision.
• Knowledge of social media integration (Facebook, Twitter,etc).
• Degree in Computer Science or related field, and/or equivalent work experience.
Imagine a career with an organization that brings smiles to millions every day. Imagine working with people whose passion for what they do is simply indescribable. We are The Walt Disney Company, live with a rich legacy of innovation, entertainment, and lifelong memories. With our vast array of both businesses and professionals, you’ll have the opportunity to join a team that’s beloved around the world, and to find out how it feels to love what you do. We invite you to discover for yourself why a career with Disney is the opportunity you‘ve been looking for.
ESPN, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.
Job ID: 86048BR-1